Today’s tech tip is about having a plan for Regular Effective Contact in your online and hybrid courses and making it visible.
One suggestion is to add a “Regular Effective Contact” section to your Syllabus that outlines your plan for communicating with your students online. This is also a great place to list your expected response times on questions and grading, and to quantify any contact that happens outside of Canvas, such as in-person office hours.
Here is just one of many possible examples:
What You Can Expect From Me:
- Weekly Announcements with a checklist of what we’re working on, answers to FAQs, other pertinent info.
- Weekly input in class discussions; capstone post summarizing and bridging ideas.
- Brief videos of me introducing each unit.
- The following response times for questions and grades:
- Email and Canvas Conversations – within 48 hours
- Class Discussion board questions – within 48 hours
- Grades for Quizzes – upon submission
- Grades for Final Exam – within 1 week of submission
- Grades for Discussions and Homework – within 2 weeks of due date
- Grades for Research Project – within 4 weeks of due date
- You can also find me in my office on campus, Holt 121, M-W-F 3:00-4:00 PM.
As always, let us know if you have any questions!